Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Girl Group 2NE1 is 'UGLY'

The Korean girl group that's famous for thier strong, edgy image that differs from the usual cutesy and bubbly music that Korean pop is best known for is back with thier newly released song 'UGLY'.  Opposite to the not-so-modest powerhouse anthem "I Am the Best" and newly released rage-filled "Hate You", 2NE1 comes back with a heavyhearted track full of rock-inspired rifts and self-loathing lyrics such as "I think I'm ugly and nobody wants to love me, just like her I want to be pretty," and "I'm all alone". Not unlike "Lonely", 2NE1 brings another sad song with an upbeat twist. It's relatable for the many heartbroken young and old who just don't ever feel adequaete enough. Perhaps it is not a postive thing to repeat, but it's a song that makes you realize that you are not the only one who feels like he/she is not enough sometimes.

Personally, It's not my favorite song from 2NE1's newly released songs. "Lonely" showcased the best example of 2NE1's vocal talent. And "I Am The Best" somewhat bollywood-rock-hip hop song is a club hit. (And was an all-kill.)  However, "Ugly"'s heartbreaking lyrics might change all that.

2NE1 is just like YG Entertainment's idea of a powerful idol group: they change, develop, and always try new things. This is what UGLY represents. In a world where "beautiful is better", and the mentality is to always stay thin and thinner, 2NE1 stands out. Thier song is an anthem to the girls who see stick-thin idols who refuse to show thier flaws at all costs. 2NE1 has flaws and that's OK. We have flaws, too.

Like I said previously, 2NE1 is relatable to young girls--in Korea and internationally. With thier strong image, fresh beats, and their sense of being 'real', 2NE1 shows that they are in the music game to stay. And possibly can transcend it. I look forward to thier U.S. advancement.

Check out this hot track below:


2NE1 UGLY MV

1 comment:

  1. I'm super confused as to why people think CL is ugly specifically. Um, what? She is not only pretty, she is goddess gorgeous. Her face has almost perfect symmetry. Isn't that how we base beauty? Hmm? She is so pretty, and I would kill to look like her. That model that was offended because someone said she looked like CL is an idiot. Take a compliment, jeez...

    ReplyDelete